Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Podcasting: How It Affects Radio Listening

Maybe you've wondered, when it comes to making programming available on both broadcast outlets and also as podcasts,"Will folks listen to our podcast AND the broadcast as heard on our affiliate stations or will they listen to the podcast INSTEAD OF the station?"

Mark Ramsey has some answers. And I think he is "spot on." From his blog, here 2.0:
Good question. And the answer is...

It depends.

If the podcast is FREE and your show is LONG (e.g., a few hours long) and DAILY (or so)...

If you podcast highlights or bits or interviews of your show as online bonuses or delay the podcast for a reasonable time, I believe this will ADD to your on-air audience, i.e., "I can listen to the podcast, but to hear the REST of the content I need to listen to the station."

If you podcast your entire show online on the same day it runs live, I believe you will SUBTRACT from your audience, i.e., "I can listen to the podcast, I don't need to listen to the station." And for those who don't already listen to the station, they may be reluctant to sample such a large slice of your show's pie. Tidbits, that's what they need.

Read the whole article and learn how to do podcasting right. Ramsey is an insightful fellow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home